I need a pintervention


Have I mentioned lately how much I love Pinterest? Well I do. Mostly because it keeps me organized and helps me be a better crafter (and by better crafter I mean that it helps me steal ideas from other people, adapt them for myself, and take all the glory). I have made it a priority lately to actually make the things I pin, rather than just keep them in the virtual world. So when my mom asked me and Alison to do Family Sunday Dinner this past week, I knew it was time to pull from my board. Unfortunately I didn't take pictures of the process, but here are the 3 things we made:

Mexican Fruit Salad

Ingredients:
4 cups strawberries, sliced
2 cups mango, diced
2 cups watermelon, cubed
1 cup pineapple chunks (canned or fresh)
1/2 cup orange juice
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1/4 cup pineapple juice
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1- 1 1/2 teaspoon dried ancho chile powder

Directions: Mix all the fruit in a large serving bowl. Add the rest of the ingredients and gently toss until well mixed. Chill for 1 hour.  Serve in a frog shaped watermelon (not optional)


I give it: 
Not a huge fan of the spices, but it's hard to mess up a fruit salad! Props to my BIL for making this awesome frog serving dish!!

Mexican Stuffed Peppers

Prior to this I had no idea what quinoa was or even how to pronounce it (keen-wah). Apparently its full of protein, so now I'm a fan. 

Ingredients:
  • 4 bell peppers (any color), sliced in half stem-to-tip, seeds removed
  • 1c quinoa, uncooked
  • 1/2 medium onion, diced
  • 1 (15oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 roma tomato, seeded and diced
  • 1 (4oz) can diced green chiles (don’t drain)
  • 1/4c cilantro, minced
  • 1/4tsp salt
  • 1/4tsp pepper
  • olive oil, if desired
  • 1/2c Monterrey Jack, grated
  • 1/2c cheddar cheese, grated
  • 1 recipe red enchilada sauce (or 1 (28oz) can)
Instructions:
  1. Add quinoa and onion to a large saucepan with 2 cups of water and a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Boil 5 minutes, cover, turn off heat and let steam 15 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
  2. In the meantime, microwave pepper halves 2-3 minutes to soften slightly. (Prepared this way, the peppers should come out crisp-tender. If you want them crisper, you can omit this step.)
  3. Pour quinoa/onion mixture into a mixing bowl. Stir in black beans, tomato, green chiles and their juices, cilantro, 1/4 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp pepper. If the mixture seems to dry, drizzle in a bit of olive oil (I didn’t need any).
  4. Pour enchilada sauce into a 9×13″ baking dish. Divide filling among peppers. Nestle stuffed peppers into the enchilada sauce. Sprinkle with cheeses.
  5. Cover the pan with foil and bake at 375 degrees 25-30 minutes. Remove foil and cook about 5 minutes longer. Serve peppers drizzled with enchilada sauce.



I give it:


Prep took a long time, but it wasn't that hard (just chopping and boiling). I will definitely make this again!! (it was also good as leftovers, which was a worry of mine. I also ate the left over stuffing by it's self and in a tortilla the next day, super good!)


Baked Cinnamon Churros 

(I'm a self-proclaimed churro connoisseur so you know I'm always looking for an excuse to make 'em)

Ingredients:
1 sheet frozen pastry puff sheet, thawed (usually they come in a 2 pack . . . if you want to make both sheets, just double the recipe)
1/2 cup sugar2 teaspoons ground cinnamon1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, melted

Directions:Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.  Unfold and cut puff pastry sheets in half lengthwise, and cut each half crosswise into 1-inch-wide strips.  Place strips on a lightly greased parchment paper-lined baking sheet.Bake 8-10 minutes or until golden brown (mine only took 8 minutes). Meanwhile, combine sugar and cinnamon.  Remove pastry sheets from oven and dip in butter, then roll in cinnamon-sugar mixture.  Let stand on a wire rack 5 minutes or until dry.Makes 18 churros.






 I give it: 

Because it uses puff pastries there was more air than dough and I LOVE my dough, so I'd prefer a different dough next time. It was super easy though, so if you need something quick and not fried, this is it!



So all in all, a success! I have actually found a new love for cooking and can't wait for my next recipe. If you have one that you love and think I should try, let me know!




Comments

Popular Posts