SCBI


I am all settled in here in Front Royal, VA at the Smithsonian Conservation Biology Institute! I started my internship doing Conservation Education on Monday. I technically am working for Friends of the National Zoo, but am physically at SCBI to do education here and in the surrounding areas. SCBI is the zoo's research center so we have between 20-30 species of endangered or extinct in the wild animals (including cheetahs, clouded leopards, maned wolves, cranes, several hoofstock, etc.).
We help to educate the public on the research being doing by SCBI and around the world to protect and preserve wild animals. We also do general science programs for local schools to teach them about ecology, biology, etc.
Mom and Dad drove up with me on Saturday and we spent the weekend "exploring" the area. Front Royal is pretty small (although huge compared to Buena Vista were I worked at a Young Life camp a few years ago). We quickly ran out of things to do and ended up seeing 2 shows and going out to eat a lot. I am glad I'm only here for a few months, otherwise I'd go stir-crazy! I am excited for this opportunity and to be around some amazing researchers. I can't wait to travel to D.C. to see the zoo and the other museums this Spring.


First Day of work!

Shenandoah Valley

My Dorm

Retired Bison living at SCBI


Comments

Popular Posts