Loan Funded!

I heard about microloans a few years ago and have fallen in love with the idea. I'm no economist, but I realize the benefit of the giver and the borrower with microloans. People have been pouring money into poverty stricken places, thinking it will help, but it only facilitates dependency and not long term rehabilitation of the people. Microloans allow people to keep their dignity and work hard to make their business a success. Sometimes they just need $200 for a new sewing machine. The great thing with World Vision's program is that they are 0% interest for the borrowers, and once the money is paid back, it stays in that community to continue to build capital. Instead of me throwing $50 into some pot to be given out as free cash, that money is used for a business loan to help a single mom buy fertilizer and livestock so she can provide for her family. Anyways, I got an email yesterday saying that the loan I helped fund was fully funded! Now she can buy her supplies and be on her way to making a profit and providing for her family. Check it out at http://www.worldvisionmicro.org/




This book radically changed my thinking on charity and poverty.

Comments

Popular Posts