The Lies We Believe

One of the most useful tools I learned in my recovery process is to be able to identify the lies I am hearing (and subsequently believing), whether they are about me, God, or other people. I've mentioned this verse before, but in John 8:44 Satan is called the "father of all lies". Being able to identify the lies Satan and his army of demons use can help us make a better defense against them. Knowing how they will try and attack allows us to prepare!  I recently listened to this sermon on spiritual warfare by J.D. Greear and was reminded that to resist Satan is not to engage Satan, rather it is to get filled with the presence of Jesus, the stronger man.

I always pray that the lies of the enemy would fall on deaf ears; may I not even hear them, let alone start to believe them! I want to be so saturated in the Word of God that the flaming arrows Satan throws dissolve before they even touch my skin. My closest friends know to ask me "what lies are you believing?" when I'm upset or just not doing well in general. My dependencies (anger, withdrawal, isolation, binge eating, etc.) stem from a faulty belief in either the character of God or who He says that I am.


Over the past years I've compiled a list of common lies I tend to believe, the truth based on God's Word, and scripture to memorize to help me believe. Lord, help my unbelief! I hope you find them helpful!






What lies are you believing today? What does God's truth say?






“Lord, I know You're all that I have, but I don't know You well enough for You to be all that I need." -Larry Crabb


Comments

Popular Posts