Look like a beauty, train like a beast!

In the summer of 1991 the local newspaper wrote an article about me because I was the youngest person to ever be on a summer swim league in my hometown (and probably anywhere). I was 3 and a half.

Now that I babysit for a 3 year old, I think how outrageous that is. I literally just got potty trained and here I am jumping in the deep end of some country club pool and trying to make it to the other side (I held on to the side a lot, don't think I was superhuman or anything).  I have zero recollection of that summer, but ask my parents and they'll tell you about it. I'm sure people questioned their parenting abilities every time I jumped in the pool and moms everywhere collectively held their breath waiting for me to surface. Thank you Mom and Dad for letting me be fearless!

All that to say, athleticism runs in my blood. My whole family is active and I grew up with some sort of sport. I started soccer at 5, softball at 7, volleyball at 10. My parents shuffled me and my siblings around to different games and some of my greatest childhood memories were on a sports field. And some of my greatest friends where those I played with. Even in college, when I ballooned close to 200 pounds, I was still regularly working out. Which makes me think I could have easily gone over 200 if it wasn't for the awesome classes at my college gym! I also started running in races my sophomore year. My sister did the Disney marathon (ask her about it sometime- it's a hilarious story) and I did my first 10k for my 19th birthday with my dad and sister. Running became a family affair and Alison and I did a half marathon later that year.

turkey trot 5k as a family


my high school volleyball team

my first 10k with my sister

my first half marathon with my sister

Unfortunately, I have extra cartilage on both sides of both of my knees (I know, I know, you hate me because you have the opposite problem) which affected my distance running greatly. I got sidelined a lot, spent many a sessions at Duke for PT, iced my knees for days, and popped ibuprofen like candy. I eventually stopped running and have only recently picked it back up. Dang Iliotibial Band Syndrome!

So when I started this journey almost a year ago, I knew working out would play a role. Initially when I started, however, I didn't workout beyond my daily 6-8 miles I walk at work (which sounds like a lot, but you get acclimated very quickly). But in July, once I hit that nasty plateau (read about it here), I decided to step up my game and I joined this amazing gym called Orange Theory Fitness. Seriously, if you want the best workout of your life, go try it- the first class is free! It uses heart rate monitoring and interval training to get you your maximum workout. I loved that I could see my heart rate on the screen and could adjust my intensity and not have to worry about anyone else. A lot of times at regular gyms I would compare myself to the person next to me on the treadmill or elliptical- how fast are they going? What incline? How long have they been going at it? OTF allows me to workout for Heather's standards and no one else. I love going with my Mom because she can power walk on the treadmill next to me as I run and we both have the same percent heart rate! It has allowed me to set personal goals and not have to worry about anyone else in the class. Because comparison is the thief of joy and it will kill you!

day 4 of hell week in October
5k in November at Busch Gardens
 I started noticing a change in my strength and stamina pretty quickly and wrote them down as a non-scale victories. I initially started with a base pace of 5.5mph, a push pace of 6.5mph and an all out sprint at 8pmh. I have loved challenging myself and seeing those speeds increase about 2mph faster each. I also have gotten incredibly stronger: I used to use 5lb weights for all of my arm workouts and now use minimum 15lbs and often have more depending on the muscle group. It's so fun to measure non-scale victories by what I'm gaining....muscle!! I have loved seeing my muscle definition come about, it's been a fun little project :) But I also love the challenge and pushing myself. I constantly have new fitness goals that I want to achieve and I work towards them. Because when I have nothing to work for, I just lollygag around the gym and get nothing accomplished. And then I usually convince myself I worked out hard and deserve Chipotle (and extra guac!), anyone else?

working out with my amazing mom!
setting gym records :)
I made a new Disney inspired workout tank top!
corporate 5k with my friend Tracey

Here's the thing though, you can out eat any workout. The fact that I got to nearly 200 pounds while working out pretty regularly is proof of that. Nutrition and exercise have to go hand-in-hand. I never workout because I feel guilty about what I ate, but I do love that I can budget for higher point meals I know are coming up by adding some exercise into my routine (i.e. birthdays, etc.). At this point though, I workout for fun and I hate when I go more than 2 days without sweating. It is such a joy for me to exercise, which in itself is a victory! But I also have given myself the grace to say "no" to working out if I don't feel like it or don't have time. There are bound to be days and weeks when I simply can't make it the gym and I don't want the guilt and shame to set in. The enemy has certainly used this area to try and bring new guilt and shame into my life and I still have to fight against that.

I also need to confess that I have made an idol of fitness and my body at times. I vacillate between honoring my body as God's temple by taking care of it and finding my worth/identity in my strength/fitness/looks. It is a fine, fine line to walk and I have not done it perfectly. If you have scripture or advice on this, please send it my way!! I also do not want you to compare yourself to my abilities or body. You might not have the same broad shoulders as me or the same muscle fiber composition and that's okay! I build muscle easily, but that isn't true for everyone. Set personal goals for yourself based on yourself and no one else. You do you! I beat myself up sometimes by not being faster or stronger than other people, but then I realize that I can't compare my speed to a 6'3" man because that's just unrealistic! I can only compare myself to Heather.


my most recent race- star wars 10k - PR at 47:36!
When I set and beat a personal record, it is a way to worship and glorify God. Because His strength is made perfect in my weakness!! For real y'all, last year I couldn't even run a mile without stopping and now I'm doing a 7:30 minute mile on average. That's crazy!! I can't even wrap my mind around the fact that God has not only transformed my heart, but my body. I can claim nothing. My victory is His!!

Activity might look very different for you; maybe it's by starting to walk regularly (and use that time to spend catching up with good friends!). Or maybe it's rock climbing or racquetball or tennis or yoga. Whatever it is, have fun!! 

Yours in Freedom,
 

"But He said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me." -2 Corinthians 12:9

Comments

Popular Posts