Staying on track while on a cruise

2 week ago my good friend Dana asked if I would go on a Disney Cruise with her to the Bahamas. Obviously, I couldn't pass it up, so I packed my snorkel and boarded the ship a few days later. For most people cruises = buffets and alcohol. They are known for the food and booze, unlimited and available 24/7. For most people this one week splurge won't be a huge deal, they may gain a few pounds, but most lose it once they come back home. But for those who struggle with disordered eating, who are on a strict diet, or who are trying to lose weight...cruise ships can be a nightmare when it comes to food and exercise. I'm currently training for a body building competition this summer which requires me to eat ever 3 hours and I have strict macronutrients goals...I was really nervous going into this because I worried if I would be able to eat and train while aboard. And I'm happy to report that I was indeed able to stay on track! It wasn't super difficult, but it did take some planning (and lots of prayer for self-control!), so I wanted to share some tips with you:

1. Check out the entire buffet to see your options before serving yourself. 
Don't just grab a plate and start at the beginning and go to the end loading up with what looks good. See what options are available first and go from there. Load up with salad, veggies, lean meats, complex carbs, and fresh fruit.

2. Ask the dining room employees for healthy options.
If you don't ask, you won't know. Here are things I asked for:
- egg whites/ egg substitute
- sugar-free jam
- sugar-free syrup
- fat-free salad dressing

3. Let your dinner server know about your restrictions and ask if you can substitute sides or mix-and-match from different entrees.  
I was able to put together chicken, sweet potatoes, and veggies every night. I also was able to get everything lactose-free b/c I'm a lactard :)

4. Order from the kids menu.
These meals are usually smaller, but sometimes have healthier options because they don't have a lot of high-calorie sauces and they usually always have steamed veggies or fruit

5. Visit the fitness center and sign up for classes as soon as you board.
I was able to do a spin class one morning and a 5K on the island another. They also offered yoga and pilates! I was impressed by the gym machines and weight selections and was able to do all my workouts! Take advantage of these amenities- it's free! And they had some incredible views since it was located at the front of the ship!

6. Take the stairs!
The only time I took the elevator was when I had my luggage. We were on level 2 and most everything was on level 9 and 10. I got in like 50 flights a day! 

7. Plan to indulge and enjoy in moderation.
Budget your calories so you can still enjoy the fun treats and drinks! I did an extra cardio session and enjoyed amazing beignets at dinner one night. Totally worth it!

8. Bring your own protein
Because I'm on a high protein diet, I brought my protein powder, blender bottle, and protein bars in my luggage without problems. I knew I always had a healthy option in my backpack and it kept me from giving into pizza on the pool deck.

9. Bring fruit from breakfast to keep with you for a snack.
Grab a banana or apple and throw it in your bag for later!

10. Get out of the "I'm going to eat my money's worth" mindset. 
If you're frugal like me, you want the most for your money. In theory this is great, but don't feel like you need to eat until your pants explode every meal just because you can. Remember, you'll be spending a lot of time in your bathing suit...do you want to look and feel bloated while pool side?

11. Light beers, white wines, clear liquors.  
If you're going to drink, there are better options! And watch your mixers! Use diet soda, diet juices, or tonic water with your liquor. Try vodka and Diet Sprite!


If you have a plan in place, you're much more likely to succeed. Ask your friends and family to keep you accountable. You are your best health advocate! I actually lost weight on my first cruise...it's possible, so don't go in thinking it's not. Don't give into what you want right now for what you want most.

Do you have any other tips for staying on track when on vacation?


salad every night!
duck for my protein
spin class!
5K on the island :)
typical breakfast: 7oz of egg whites, 1 egg, 2 oz oatmeal
salad, roasted turkey, roasted potatoes, veggies


Comments

Popular Posts